Happy New Year* everyone!
I love the clean slate that January brings; new beginnings, a chance to reset and reflect on what did and didn’t work for us the previous year. Personally, I ditched the idea of austere resolutions years ago, and instead now try to focus on a few happiness-boosting intentions each year.
Although I have a few tangible things I need to work on (finalise my wedding planning, stop being lazy about getting to the gym, eat less sugar, and to get my anxiety-inducing stress in check), my goals for 2017 mostly focus on prioritising what makes me happiest. Hardly groundbreaking, but we could probably all do with being reminded once and a while.
So if, like me, you’re also wanting to focus on that which brings you happiness vs a set of restrictive resolutions, here are five intentions to set for the year ahead. Consider them our 2017 mantras, if you will:
1. Spread love + positivity // Choosing happiness each day, even if it’s not the easier option. Limiting negative thoughts before they escalate. Telling the people you care about how much they mean to you, often. Being kind to everyone you meet. Standing up for what is right and important in the face of injustice.
2. Spend more time doing things you like with the people you love // Stop wasting time on things which bring little joy or serve no purpose, and instead make regular dates with the people that matter (this is so obvious that I sometimes completely forget to do it). Schedule regular dates with your friends (including making the effort to visit those further away) doing things you both enjoy.
3. Learn + explore often // Adventure = happiness. Continuing to explore the world (both near and far) as often as possible. Travel to new places, learn about different cultures, try new things. Read as much, and as widely, as possible. Develop current talents and learn new skills.
4. Be kinder to yourself // Stop being your own worst critic + instead be your own head cheerleader. Quit comparison and worrying about what everyone else thinks of you. Nourish + treat your body with respect. Get enough rest and quality downtime to manage stress and avoid burnout.
5. Prioritise what makes you happy + have one thing to look forward to every week // The main perk of being an adult is you don’t have to ask for permission; if you really want something, then get it. Build in small pleasures every single day. Always schedule in one bigger treat each week (dinner with a girlfriend, a theatre date, a massage…) so there’s always something to look forward to, no matter how stressful the week. Make happiness a year-round affair.
Do you have any goals or resolutions for the year, or will you adopt any of these? I’d love to hear them! Here’s to a tremendous 2017!
Love, Miss B xx
* I realise I’m a bit slow off the mark with the whole ‘New Year’ thing. I’m never sure whether readers want to know about my personal life or not, but my beloved Uncle (who is more like my surrogate Father) was diagnosed with cancer just a few weeks before Christmas and passed away earlier this week. Truthfully, I hadn’t felt much like posting cheery posts when I was feeling heartbroken and trying to spend all my time with family in London to collectively get through it.
Shop the post: