Filling my home with sweet peas and pastel hydrangeas from the market. Making the most of sunny evenings with nightly picnics on the banks of the River Cam as ducklings and punters drift on by and the bells of Kings College chapel chime in the background. Lazing in the grass with entire hours spent doing nothing more vigorous than reading a book and watching the clouds float by. New twinkly baubles. Stopping to smell the roses, always. Multiple trips to Diptyque to make my house (and myself) smell delicious. Souvenirs from my darling friend Nicolette.
My (already serious) love for London stepping into overdrive with the anticipation for the 2012 Olympics. Having the privilege to see the opening ceremony in person (wow). London looking resplendent in celebratory flags from every nation. New Prada heels (why did I not own lipstick pink shoes before this?). Crossing the Thames to watch the golden sun set over the Houses of Parliament (my glorious London office). Always time for tea at Laduree and dinner at Polpo with dear friends. Jimmy Choos and bike rides. Lunch breaks in beautifully manicured London squares.
Strolling the leafy, mansion-lined streets of Notting Hill (and dreaming of living in a pastel house with climbing roses and a glossy front door). Lazy saturday afternoon trips to Portobello Road with friends who make me smile. Merrily in my element vintage treasure-hunting. Getting my fix of proper Australian brunch at Granger and Co on Westbourne Grove. Exploring East London. Bagels and antiques on Brick Lane. Musings about Paris. Balmy summer evenings at last. Rediscovering old favourite Marc Jacobs treasures.
I hope you all had a wonderful July, and here’s to a marvellous August!
Love, Miss B xx
Summer has finally arrived here in England (at least for this week). The past week has been hot, and I’ve been joyfully having picnics on the riverbank most evenings, going on bike rides all over Cambridge, and relishing the chance to wear my summer wardrobe.I picked up this skirt on sale in Zara last weekend (I am all about white lace in summer), and because it was too hot to wear anything more substantial, paired it with an old lingerie-style blush silk peplum camisole for a mini girl date with my friend S on Friday night. Because anything black felt decidedly wrong, I climbed in to the very back of my wardrobe and pulled out my old favourite Marc Jacobs stam bag (one of my very first ‘proper’ bags that I bought myself when I got my first grown-up job) and treasured bow heels from way back in ’03 (which by blogger standards makes them ‘vintage’) – still one of my favourite collections of Marc’s to date (hence why I still can’t bring myself to part with them, no matter how battered they are now).
And just like that, I was suddenly, and accidentally, channeling myself circa the Australian summer of 2004, when I would raid vintage shops for pearls and 50s silk slips to wear as dresses over white tank tops with a bow tied around my waist, and pore over the pages of Vogue between class. I might have a bigger budget than I did that summer, but some things will never change. Wearing: Marc Jacobs bag and shoes, Zara skirt, vintage top, Jersey Pearl necklace, ‘love’ necklace c/ Grand Bazaar London, Michael Kors watch (similar style here), Mimco cuff, arrow bracelet c/ Poshlocket
Do you have treasured favourites in your wardrobe that you pull out years later?
Love, Miss B xx
Just a few of my favourite things this month:
1. Play: Living out my own Great Gatsby fantasies and going to an opulent Cambridge May Ball (in typical Oxbridge eccentric style, May Week actually takes place over two weeks in June). Fireworks, champagne, a live band, dancing until dawn, and everyone dressed in their sparkliest refinery.
2. Sparkle: I have been in love with this Lei Van Kash rose ring for about two years, so it’s probably about time I actually buy it.
3. Buying: It feels like every item of clothing I’m buying this month is either floral print or white lace. I especially love this dress by Whistles that is just made for a garden party.
4. Wearing: I’ve rediscovered my beloved collection of Marc Jacobs Stam bags (I have three!) and have been slinging my putty-coloured version over almost everything. Casual and chic all at once!
5. Beauty note: Annick Goutal Petite Cherie perfume, which smells of juicy pears and vanilla and freshly mown grass in the morning (I like to pretend I’m lying in a sun-drenched orchard in the south of France when I spritz it on)
6. On my wish list: Charlotte Olympia Pomeline sandals (blush pink + pom poms!)
7: Listening to: Vampire Weekend (the preppy soundtrack to so many Cambridge May Week parties)
8. Watching: Tennis at Wimbledon (accompanied by champagne, strawberries and cream and a spot of people-watching).
9. Gourmand pleasures: Elderflower cordial is the flavour of summer in a bottle.
10. Small luxuries: Fresh garden roses and pink peonies from the farmer’s market.
Which pleasures are currently making you smile this month?
Love, Miss B xx