Happy Friday! This week has been especially hectic, so I’m looking forward to some much-needed time away from my desk this weekend. We have family visiting from Australia, and are headed to Amsterdam for a long weekend away (I went earlier this year for a day for work and loved it so much I vowed to return in the autumn). I can’t wait to explore those gorgeous streets again! Let me know if you have any suggestions for things to see/do/eat in the city.
1. My friend Alex is visiting today and I’m SO excited to see her! We’re going to have lunch, go punting on the river, and wander around the colleges in all their autumnal glory. I adore this time of year but feel like the window for glorious autumn weather is so short, we have to play tourist in our own city while the weather is still lovely.
2. Come autumn, I’m all about that classic collegiate preppy look (I’m pretty sure I say the exact same thing every year, but I know what I like…), and this is exactly the skirt I’ve been searching for for years (it also comes in a cute mustard colour). I’m teaming it with a crisp white shirt and ballet pumps for now, and tan knee-high boots and a cashmere sweater once the weather gets cooler.
3. October’s arrival means it’s officially boot weather. It’s time to pack away your summer sandals and do a fall footwear stocktake. I was in need of a new pair of ankle boots (I live in them for autumn), so just bought this cute pair from Topshop until I’m ready to commit to the Rag & Bone version.
4. I’m a year-round bright lipstick lover, but lately I’ve been wearing a deep burgundy red on repeat. I added this one to my collection a few weeks ago and it’s so perfect for these crisp autumn days (the ‘Charlotte‘ shade is dark and glamorous without veering into gothic territory).
5. The days are suddenly getting rapidly shorter, and the resulting temptation to spend cosy evenings tucked at home has set in. The joy of getting home from work, lighting a candle (this is my current favourite), climbing into fresh pyjamas (I just bought this pair; they look like Kate Spade but are a total bargain) and curling up with a book (I just started this one) / Gilmore Girls marathon is real. Whatever your cosy pleasures are, embrace them guilt-free before the party season fatigue sets in!
6. For some reason, I hate using the word ‘Fiancé’. Even though I’m engaged, it feels somehow smug and pretentious; like I’m saying “I found a man, aren’t I clever?”. I always thought I was being slightly irrational, but the New York Times is here to tell me I’m not alone: the term is officially out of fashion.
7. If you haven’t already, this is the perfect weekend to switch over your seasonal wardrobe (sadly, the summer weather is now behind us). I’m still teaming many of my favourite summer dresses with ankle boots and a leather jacket or trench coat, but the rest gets packed away to make room for lovely new-season sweaters (these are my favourites), coats and cosy scarves.
As always, please do let me know what you’re buying, doing or enjoying this week in the comments below (I always love reading your favourites). I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Love, Miss B xx