I am firmly committed to the art of living life through a rose-tinted filter. Of course I do not pretend that horrible things do not happen, not that I can control every element of my life, but I find that by making the simplest of tweaks every day, life feels a whole lot more charming and wonderful. I thought I’d adapt a recent post I did for Glitter Guide (‘How to Sparkle More in 2012‘) so that I can share a few of my favourite rose-tinted fixes here.
1. Don’t save your favourite things for ‘a special occasion’. Life is the special occasion! Treat every day like a party and pile on your favourite jewels each day, wear your favourite party dress often, and spritz your favourite perfume as you rush out the door each morning.
2. Whenever you have a spare day, act as though it’s your birthday. Eat cake for breakfast, dance around the room to your favourite songs, throw a frou frou tea party or movie night for your best friends, go to your favourite places… do whatever it is that makes you smile out loud.
3. Practise random acts of kindness. Always demonstrate impeccable manners, tell a stranger in the street how great they look, leave a little note with a tip at your local cafe saying how perfectly they make their coffee, send handwritten notes on your favourite notecards, volunteer for a worthy local cause. It doesn’t really matter what it is, but doing lovely, selfless things often will make you smile on the inside.
4. Add loveliness to your home. Buy yourself flowers (they needn’t be expensive; in spring, I love nothing more than $2 bunches of daffodils and white narcissi on my windowsill), buy bed sheets that make bed time feel like a hotel stay, ensure you have a good stack of books that you don’t want to put down, light a gorgeous candle when you come home each evening, and collect treasures that evoke happy memories.
5. If you’re in wardrobe rut, make an effort to do your hair and put on your cutest heels for no particular reason at all. You’ll spend the day feeling that little bit lovelier.
6. Don’t let grey skies get you down. Treat it as an excuse to wear a poppy pink lipstick, an adorable umbrella and perhaps a shot of pastel or fuschia in your outfit (the same optimistic rules apply to bad days or frustrating situations).
7. Don’t get stuck in a grey rut; tweak your everyday routines to make the special rituals. Can’t function without your morning tea or coffee? Have it in your prettiest china instead so it feels like you’re having a tea party every single morning!
8. One day every week (without fail), go on a date with someone you love. It doesn’t need to be grand or over the top. Why not go somewhere fabulous with your best friend on pay day every single month for a single cocktail? Or get dressed up and go and see a musical you’ve been wanting to see for ages all by yourself? Or a bike ride at sunset with your loved one? Whatever it is, make time for special moments with the people you love.
9. Treasure small moments of happiness. Have breakfast in bed on Saturdays, smell every rose you pass on an evening walk, put on a movie that makes you laugh out loud, pause to watch the sky turn pink at sunset, have picnics and walk barefoot through the grass on warm summer evenings.
10. If you’re feeling uninspired, broaden your horizons. Make plans to take a trip to a city you’ve always wanted to explore, visit a new museum in your area, or go to your favourite bookstore for something wonderful to read this week. Instant inspiration!
How to you make life a little more rose-tinted each day? I’d love to hear your favourite pleasures!
Love, Miss B xx